Principal Software Engineer
We are seeking a passionate software/AI engineer interested in creating ICT for development solutions for the 425 million small-medium holder farmers around the world. The applicant should be eager to work on new challenges and be able to manage complex software development tasks. The applicant should be familiar with advanced cloud-based software development and Internet of Things (IoT) solutions. The applicant would join our team headquartered in Edinburgh with operations in South Asia and East Africa. International travel will be expected. Farm-Hand has a regional operations office in Tamil Nadu, India. The applicant would report directly to the CTO, CEO and R&D leads. Farm-Hand is applying for space at the Higgs Incubator in Edinburgh and hope to have this office space, with state-of-the-art data visualistion, lab testing facilities and access to satellite experts, by March 2020. We hope to work alongside an individual that will be
part of the core team going forward in this young but ambitious start-up with University and international organisation tie-ups.
Farm-Hand – www.farm-hand.in – is a for-profit company that works at the energy water-food nexus and builds precision irrigation solutions for small-medium sized farmers. More than half the world’s population will live in water stressed areas by 2030 up from just 16% in 2017. Agriculture accounts for ~70% of global freshwater withdrawals with 60% wasted due to inefficient irrigation. This causes leaching of soil nutrients, suppressing crop yields leading to negative impacts on farm productivity. Using localized weather forecasting and crop specific data we simply aid in delivery of right volume of water at the right time. Our vision is to become the irrigation support for all small-medium sized farmers globally, providing basic to complex assistance depending on the requirement. Our route-to-market is through local farmer aggregator organisations, where we are a technology partner, to empower their farmers economically, environmentally and socially and provide the aggregator unprecedented data analytics. The company has three principles in our product development 1) user centred design, 2) customization and 3) modularity. Our first product – Water-Hand – is a low-cost unique hardware-software solution enabled by widespread mobile phone use, novel & market leading weather forecasting and IoT technology. Water-Hand increases crop production whilst reducing water, energy, fertilizer and labour. Field trials have returned a 60% reduction in water and energy needs and a 30% increase in crop yield. Our aim is to work with over 500,000 farmers within 5 years.
Farm-Hand has been developed through parent organisations Scene Connect, Auraventi, Heriot-Watt University, Findhorn Foundation and Auroville Consulting. Farm-Hand has won Climate KIC stage 2, ScotEdge Wild Card and Shell Springboard awards, the last deeming it the most promising low carbon start-up in the UK to enter in the 2019 cohort.
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will have a key delivery and coordination role to strengthen our team and build on our technical specifications. Key role activities include:
– Work in a software team and with contracts to ensure delivery of product features into product releases at the required level of quality.
– Work with colleagues on data analytics/modelling to manage inputs on the irrigation scheduling algorithms.
– Further develop ML/AI applications in localized weather forecasting and farmer feedback mechanisms.
– Work with creating a user-centred front-end for the farmer and the aggregator.
– Liaise with R&D team to align development features to the right technical standards.
– Ensure a scalable product built for widespread commercialization.
– Pro-actively participating in the full development lifecycle
– Leveraging expertise to ensure quality of product throughout all stages of the development lifecycle
We are looking for a passionate candidate with at least 5 years of programming/scripting experience in a variety of languages, systems and technologies.
– A degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related subject, or additional years of work experience.
– Experience in software stacks such as Java or Ruby.
– Knowledge of data structures and algorithms (i.e. selecting and implementing an algorithm, using data structures to solve a problem).
– Knowledge of data base design techniques.
– Knowledge of SQL and noSQL.
– Understanding of HTML, CSS3.
– Experience in docker and containerization stacks.
– Experience in implementing machine learning.
– Passionate and curious about learning new software skills, understanding climate smart agriculture, understanding how to use ICT for development and motivated for self-development.
– Good analytical skills
– Eager to take on responsibility.
Desirable additional characteristics include:
– Prior experience with agriculture and/or energy systems modelling.
– Prior experience with working with satellite technology and Earth Observation data sets.
– Experience of implementing development tasks at some or all levels of stack such as: Linux, Cloud based development and deployment, Shell scripting, Spring Boot, Ruby on Rails, Node JS, Python, JPA, Hibernate, XML, JASON, API, Web services (Amazon Web Services or similar cloud services), Java Object-oriented development and relational database systems.
– Experience in React.JS, Angular or similar frontend technologies.
– Experience in Type Script.
– Experience in development using Gitlab.
– Long-term view in developing the company.
– Great communication skills with a desire to lead.
– Willingness to travel internationally for extended periods of time.
– Solve problems with curiosity and creativity.
– Experience in project management methodologies.
Feel free to contact CEO, Abhimanyu Bhargava, at firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0) 7449317499 for further information if unsure about applying.
To apply for this position please email your CV and a covering letter outlining why you would be a good fit for the position, to email@example.com and Dr. Andrew Peacock (CINO) firstname.lastname@example.org by 15th February 2020. Please put “Principal Software Engineer” in the email subject. Virtual interviews would take place in the following two weeks and a decision made as soon as possible.
Farm-Hand Ltd. Is a Company Limited by Shares registered in Scotland (Company Number SC590302)
Tel: +44 (0) 7449317499