Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Are you an innovative Mechanical Engineer looking to progress your career in one of the most exciting sectors? Muddy Machines is looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to help push the boundaries of what is possible on farms.
We are looking for a talented candidate with a proven track record of delivering innovative products to join us and shape the future of farming. We have an ambitious goal to feed the world in a sustainable, environmentally-friendly way, and you will play a key part.
Based out of the Central Research Laboratory in West London, you will work alongside the CTO and engineering team to develop our current prototypes and conduct field tests with our first customers. You will use your experience to shape the technology and processes we use, pushing the boundaries of robotics products in the agricultural industry, and in doing so, become an integral part of the business.
As a small company, we have a unique opportunity to ensure our teams are diverse and inclusive from day one. We know outstanding results occur when unique individuals from diverse backgrounds come together, this is something we are keen to cultivate as our company grows.
What you’ll do
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer at Muddy Machines, you will:
- Lead and own the mechanical design of our robot and harvesting tools
- Identify, invent and apply technologies in innovative ways to meet the product specification and solve emerging problems
- Collaborate with other engineers across disciplines to deliver brilliant solutions
- Produce prototype designs. A mix of hands-on fabrication and coordination with external manufacturers/suppliers
- Conduct regular testing and field trials throughout the year with customers
- Ideally, you will possess a first-class degree in Mechanical, Automotive, Industrial Design or related field
- 4+ years proven experience working in a relevant field (e.g. as a mechanical or design engineer)
- A creative and considered approach to problem-solving, following clear design processes
- Ability to plan, prioritise tasks, and coordinate with the work of others
- Excellent ability to communicate technical knowledge in a clear and understandable manner
- Self-starter – ability to work independently
- Ability to travel regularly during the working week between April and July
- Broad knowledge of engineering principles and fundamentals including experience with:
- Chassis design and fabrication techniques including folding, pressing and welding
- Drivetrain design – Electric motors, gearboxes and suspension
- Material selection and tradeoffs
- Strong CAD design and simulation user, ideally using Solidworks
- Hand-on workshop skills for fabrication and assembly of prototypes and test rigs
Ideally, you would have experience in leading the design and development of complex machinery or robotic products. However if not, this could be a great opportunity for the right candidate.
- You’ll join the founding engineering team with the ability to shape the technology, tools, processes and culture of the company
- Your early contribution to the company will be rewarded with a generous equity package so that you share in the value you create
- Significant opportunities to take on leadership roles as the company grows
- Regular travel throughout the beautiful UK countryside for field trials, testing and on-farm development. When we say field trials, we mean it!
- A wild ride full of learnings and new experiences, you will never wonder why you get up in the morning
- Flexible working hours and location, work from where you and your team are the most productive
- Vibrant workspace colocated with some of London’s most innovative hardware companies
- Regular events with catered lunches
- Onsite gym and showers
- Free onsite parking
- Free hot drinks and plenty of desk or couch space
If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you. Bonus points if you have an agricultural background or experience. Don’t worry if you don’t, you’ll get it with us!
- Must be able to start no later than 29th March 2021
- Unfortunately, we cannot offer relocation or visa sponsorship for this position.
- No recruiters, please
Apply Now: https://apply.workable.com/muddymachines/j/D835306151/apply/